Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie

Friday, July 16, 2010

Growing up in 2010
Times have definitely changed since we were young. Or really since we were in college. (That was the time when communication happened via long distance phone cards, land lines, and a simple "hey maybe we'll just happen to run into each other at some party later tonight because I have no way of finding you in Lexington since I can't call you.") Well we started using those cell phone things junior year in college and they rapidly began to change. I can remember when the new craze was to buy a camera phone. I vividly remember saying to Matt, "What a waste of money. Who really needs that?" Although it sounded cool, I never thought I would actually have a reason to use it.

Fast forward to 2010 and life with my almost three year old. We were playing in Anna's room today and she had about 6 stuffed animals laying out. She was talking to them and playing with them. I recently gave her a very old cell phone I found while cleaning (kind of big, bulky, and definitely no where near being a camera phone.) There she was playing by herself while I was dusting her dresser. The following is what I witnessed Anna doing: "Hi guys! You look cute! Get together and smile! Wait, let me just use my camera phone....'click'! (as she held up the old blue Sprint phone and said "click!") Okay, now hold on. I'm going to send this to Daddy Teddy Bear...'beep, beep, beep' (this was while she pressed all the buttons.) That looks good! Mommy, look at the picture, they look cute!" And then she showed me the battery-less, camera-less phone. Great imagination.... for a 2010 kid.

P.S. The little one and a half year old Megan already "gets it" too. She always whines for my phone so she can see the video of Anna pushing her in the swing when the phone opens. She gets a huge smile and does the "swing" sign so she can watch it. Wow! I can't imagine what technology lies ahead for these little ones.

No comments: