Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie

Thursday, July 22, 2010


A Highschool Marching Band, Denim, Braids, and an American Flag in Your Back Pocket
Watching the Fourth of July through the eyes of a one and two year old this year definitely made me second guess what my favorite holiday is. How can you not love this day?! Parades, American flags, candy, fireworks, sprinklers, corn on the cob, picnics. This day could sum up the essence of childhood.
Matthew and Kasey came in for the weekend so we got to spend some wonderful time with them on Friday night just letting the girls play together. We met Maria and Brian and the kids on Saturday morning in their neck of the woods for the Ft. Thomas parade. This is the first time we've been to that parade and it was fantastic! It lasted a little over an hour and they had great floats and entertainment.

That night we went to Matt's parents for a low key night of swimming with the girls and then caught the quite incredible (no joke) Independence fireworks from our car. Of course, how could a city called Independece NOT put on a spectacular fireworks show? I have to admit-I'm a bit embarassed to say that we've lived here 6 years and this is the first year we've made it over to see them. Now that we know we're missing a 45 minute packed show, we won't miss again!

On Sunday we went to church and then to my parents' for a picnic and stayed all night for Andrew's famous fireworks. Megan was cracking us up because she truly loved them. She wanted to stay outside the whole time and kept saying "Andrew, more bang". She even cried when he was finished. On Monday morning, she woke up talking about it. Anna had enough after the second one and said she'd rather watch them from inside.

So after all this, I've decided that the Fourth of July might be my new favorite holiday. This year it seemed so much more magical than I remember. Isn't it great to have children to remind us of that innocence? (Also, the fact that I'm a dorky US History teacher might add to the "magic" for me.) I'm definitely proud to be an American!!



1 comment:

Mom said...

Great pictures!
It is nice to see things through a childs eyes.
More Andrew, more!!!!!!